Friday, April 08, 2005

J2EE as Data Processing

I claim that most Java/J2EE applications are written in a Data Processing (DP) style. Rather than an OO style. I'll also say that over 90% of the java being written is DP-oriented.
Since most development is in DP style, is Java really the best choice for building DP programs??? (Years were spent in attempts to use C++ as an everyday OO langauge.) That's why I'm trying to raise the issue of COBOL oriented J2EE.

Java is a mostly-OO language. But the culture that surrounds it is a mostly Data Processing culture. You can't (probably shouldn't) build OO apps in a DP culture. I have nothing against Data Processing. It has a cost/benefit model that may work in some situations. I'm just concerned that an OO language being used in a DP culture is a mismatch.